Opportunities available for public and social housing tenants, including Westside tenants.
Please check the listings below to see if there is anything that interests you. We will keep updating our site with information as we receive it, so please check back often.
All current training and employment opportunities available through the Employment Pathways Program can be found here.
Build Your Career Course starting 5th July 2021
Update 15 July 2021 – Places for Build Your Career are still available, contact SYC now to secure your spot
Please note the Activity ID for Build Your Career is 100180727
- SYC, in partnership with Housing SA, is offering a building and construction pre-employment training course.
- The course runs full-time for 11 weeks. The course is a combination of classroom learning and practical construction work and aims to provide skills and training to prepare participants for job opportunities with Housing SA pre-approved builders and maintenance contractors.
- This program combines units from the (FSK20113) Certificate II in Skills for Work and Vocational Pathways with some units from the (CPC10111) Certificate I and (CPC20112) Certificate II in Construction.
- Dates: Monday 5th July 2021 – Friday 17th September 2021
- Times: 9.00am- 3.00pm
- Classroom learning will take place at a city location.
- On-the-job construction training at a Housing SA property in West Street, Brompton.
- motivation and commitment to gain work in the building and construction industry.
- to be able to pass a pre-employment medical, including drug and alcohol testing – random drug and alcohol testing within program.
- to be physically fit.
- a White Card is required to be able to work at a live construction site.
This course is fully funded by the South Australian Government.
All learning materials and resources are provided.
A co-contribution of $120 is required for Drug and Alcohol testing.
Participants will also need a White Card and Personal Protective Equipment to start this course.
SYC will deliver White Card training prior to the commencement of the course for $120 (incl. GST).
Participants in the Build Your Career course will have an opportunity to gain on the job training at a real construction site which will give them valuable work experience.
Due to strong relationships with contractors working with the SA Housing Authority past participants of this course have been successful in securing work trials and subsequent employment opportunities.
Please follow the link to enrol online: www.syc.net.au/RTO
Build Your Career – Building and Construction Course
This Foundation Skills course is an opportunity for people looking to start work in the construction industry. You will learn new skills and knowledge and put them into practice. This course is a combination of classroom learning and practical construction work.
What is the Build Your Career course?
– Housing SA, in partnership with training provider SYC, is offering a building and construction pre-employment training course to Housing SA customers.
– The course runs full-time for 10 weeks, the course is a combination of classroom learning and practical construction work and aims to provide skills and training to prepare participants for job opportunities with Housing SA pre-approved builders and maintenance contractors.
– Successful graduates will achieve (FSK20113) Certificate II in Skills for Work and Vocational Pathways incorporating accredited units from (CPC20112) – – Certificate II in Construction Including:
* (CPCCCM2005B) Use construction tools and equipment
* (CPCCCM1012A) Work effectively and sustainably in the construction industry
– Employment opportunities and Work experience are on offer to successful graduates with Housing SA builders and maintenance providers.
– Times: 8.30am – 4.30pm
– Classroom learning will take place at SYC, 135-139 Currie Street, Adelaide
– On-the-job construction training at a Housing SA property in Brompton.
– Some online learning, with support from qualified trainers, will be required to assist with social distancing measures
Who is the program for?
– Housing SA tenants/residents
– community housing tenants
– people on a waiting list register for a Housing SA property
– people in receipt of Housing SA Private Rental Assistance (accessed a bond from Housing SA)
– people at risk of requiring social/public housing
– ANY job seekers wanting to work in building and construction
– motivation and commitment to gain work in the building and construction industry
– to be able to pass a pre-employment medical, including drug and alcohol testing – random drug and alcohol testing within program
– to be physically fit
– a White Card is required to be able to work at a live construction site
How to apply:
Zahra Foundation’s popular Central Group ‘Pathways to Empowerment’ course for Term 1, 2021
What is Pathways to Empowerment:
It is a 9 week course for women who have been affected by domestic violence.
The course focuses on:
- CONNECTION: Reconnecting with yourself, other women and the community
- EMPOWERMENT: A chance to work out what matter, how you want to live your life and the practical steps to take to achieve this.
- PATHWAYS: Get information and support to find your path into work, study, volunteering and getting your financial situation back on track.
What have previous women who completed the program have to say about the benefits of coming along?
- “This course has taught me many wonderful things. Firstly to not give up hope no matter what. And you don’t have to do the journey alone”
- “This course gave me the time and grace to look inside myself, dig deep and listen to what I want. Then step by step work out strategies to set concrete plans”
- “Every week we walked in and would learn something new. What I love the most is how stronger all of our relationships became”
- “Know yourself, delicious food, more confident, learn a lot of things”
- “I really loved it. It was a good experience for me to see where I was and where I am now”
- “Started to feel less isolated and somewhat supported. Looking to the future now”
To find out more click here
Empowering Career Options
MEGT understand that finding sustainable training and employment opportunities can be difficult for victims of domestic violence who may need to find work or change jobs quickly following separation from a violent partner – that’s where Empowering Career Options comes in!
What is Empowering Career Options?
– Funded by the Government of South Australia, Empowering Career Options is aimed at improving the skills, employment opportunities and social inclusion for victims of domestic violence.
– The project will provide end-to-end support to eligible participants based in the Adelaide metro area to assist them in successfully gaining a nationally
accredited qualification and entering sustainable employment.
– Housing SA’s Employment Pathways Program will be supporting the program as a recruitment partner and by brokering work experience and employment opportunities with SA Housing Authority contractors.
How does it work
– Empowering Career Options offers participants the opportunity to complete units of competency – Certificate III in Business Administration – over a 8 week period, and with no out-of-pocket expenses.
– Participants will also gain:
* Improved employability skills, self-belief and work attitude, designed to ensure they are confident and job-ready
* Work experience placements where participants can demonstrate their work readiness to employers and gain valuable on the job experience
* Exposure to open and sustainable employment opportunities
* Support and counselling services throughout the program
Who is eligible
– Empowering Career Options has been created specifically to assist victims of domestic violence based in the Adelaide metro area.
– To be eligible, participants must also be:
* Aged 15 years or over, AND
* No longer attending school, AND
* An Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident (includes Humanitarian Entrants), a temporary resident on a pathway to permanent residency who currently holds the necessary Visa and work permits, or a New Zealand citizen
Key Dates and Information
– TAFE registration forms to be received – 10th February
– CSPA assessment – 17 February 2021 10 am – Regency Park TAFE
– Course dates – Commences 24 February 2021 – 31 March 2021 (6 weeks)
– Break – 1 April 2021 – 23 April 2021 (school holidays)
– Course resumes – 28 April 2021 – 5 May 2021 (2 weeks)
– To be delivered on Campus – TAFE Regency Park- 137 Days Rd, Regency Park every Wednesday 9 am to 3.45 pm.
– Students will need to complete some set tasks and can do this at home or in the student hub area at a TAFE campus every Thursday
Further information here